Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Earth & Clay


Went over to Earth & Clay today for a clay workshop which I have been raving about on my Twitter!

So basically, Earth & Clay is a shop that helps create life-size clay sculptures of hands and feet. The idea of engaging myself into this activity simply excites me! 


When I first stepped into the shop itself, the display of the clay sculptures reminded me of the 1 I made a few years back but in wax form. 1 thing that amazed me was the detail of palm (more pictures below) on every clay sculpture. The wax sculpture definitely can't portray that much detail.

Kenny briefing us about the process.

Here are the steps! Steps with * will be the ones done by the staff. :)

STEP ONE*: MIXING OF MOLD
That's Valerie! The co-founder of Earth & Clay!

Notice how the powder turns pink at the touch of water? This must be done with good time management as the mold will harden within 2-3mins depending on the surrounding temperature.

STEP TWO: IMPRINTING

The feeling was interesting. It's like putting my hand into a very thick mud. Notice again that the mold is turning from pink to white. This is a sign that the mold is hardening. Pretty cool right? 

You can feel that the mold is hardening around your hand. When the surface of the mold is dry, it's time to remove your hand!


Valerie then gently loosen up the sides and then the hand will be removed slowly. This is a crucial part because if you are too rough or not relaxed enough, you might end up scratching the mold = redo.

STEP THREE*: FILLING UP THE MOLD

 We then filled up the mold with the 'liquid clay'. As Valerie pours the liquid into the mold, we were required to tap the sides continuously to allow the air bubbles to rise.

 STEP FOUR: WAIT FOR CLAY TO DRY

We were asked to come back after 30mins, so we went to McDonald's for a break. 

Usually, they will request customers to come back after 3 hours/the next day so that they can prepare. And that's it, that's all you do :) After this step, you will see the end product of the sculpture in your desired colour and frame! *squeals in delight*

STEP FIVE*: REMOVING THE MOLD
Just look at the details! I was mind-blown at this stage.

This part is tricky. As we didn't know where our fingers were (LOL), we had to be extremely careful when we peel off the mold.

Taking photos of the replica of our hand.

STEP SIX*: FINISHING TOUCHES
Valerie will spray on our desired colour. For mine, I chose pearl white.

Personalizing the plate with our names.


So yep! That's the final product. All of us happily walked away with our masterpieces and and invitation to their official opening.

*

My thoughts?

IT'S SO AMAZING. First of all, it doesn't just take the shape of your hand, intricate lines and contours of the nails are also clearly shown on the final product.

Taken with my prime lens to proof my point.

It makes a great gift for birthdays, wedding anniversaries, baby showers and more! I will make one with my husband and baby in future and frame it up on the walls of my living room. Perfect! 


You can even make it into something useful, like a card/pen holder or paper weight. I'm truly wow-ed by all the possibilities. This is suitable for ALL ages, and the process of building this mold makes it a sentimental gift/souvenir.

But Zi Rui, I want to do all the mixing and peeling too!!! :(

Well, that's POSSIBLE.

Just look at how much Earth & Clay can provide you. I'm truly satisfied with the service and final product. Oh, and did I mention? Valerie and Kenny are such awesome people. They were extremely patient and careful.

VISIT EARTH & CLAY NOW
3 Temasek Boulevard #03-075, 
Suntec City Mall, Singapore 038983